Idiom & Wise Saying Posting Instructions

Once you have had your Idiom/wise saying peer edited, you will need to post it to this blog.
Choose a picture to accompany your text. You will need to upload the picture.
The text may be copied and pasted into your post. Be sure to put the text in single space.

Monday, September 21, 2009

"Back-Seat Driver"

Has anyone ever told how to drive? We have all encountered this; I am sure, many times.I can’t think of anything that is more aggravating than a great back-seat driver. They talk and criticize reluctantly. It almost makes you want to intentionally drive badly. Have you ever thought about where the phrase “back-seat driver” came from? I say it all the time and I was curious. This is why I chose this idiom; my siblings drive me crazy when I’m driving.
The idiom “back-seat driver” comes from the annoying person who sits anywhere in the car gripping, complaining, nagging, and criticizing your driving. This commonly used phrase emerged in to USA in early 20th century. It became a widespread the more it was used. When people realized what this was, sideline criticizers, they begin to use it. The first reference that could be found when someone used this was in 1914 from the Daily Kennebec Journal. But, could this saying always be negative? Does it always make you think negative?During the 20th century, U.S. fire departments commonly used large articulated ladder trucks, known as tillers. With both front and rear- wheeled steering, it enabled the long vehicles to turn in city streets. Quite often, the back-seat driver would have to take over in order to make the necessary turn. The differences, as you can see, are complete opposite. It was not intended to be explicit, but it’s possible that the phrase could have originated that way, although most people know it as being rude and impolite.So the next time you are driving, and someone tells you how to drive and is criticizing you on how you drive, at least you will know its origin. I have no helpful hints for you other than to block them out. You can focus on the origin of the idiom “back-seat driver” rather than listening to the person and saying what you really wanted to say.

7 comments:

  1. This is a very annoying habit to have someone sitting in the backseat telling you how you should drive. To me, this only interupts your concentration and will cause you to loose focus on how you actually drive. Be considerate when your riding with someone and don't disturb their concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the best back seat drivers have to be the ones whoi can't even drive yet trying to tell you what to do it drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad this is a Idiom. I can not stand anyone in the back seat telling me how to drive, they could have driven themselves. These type of people I leave along the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a backseat driver. That is why I always drive whenever I go places with other people. Never let me ride with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my parents are back seat drivers, not that i know from experience because they are all afraid of my driving apparently but from watching them do it to pretty much everyone that has drivin them somewhere. its quite funny but at the same time i can tell the drivers just would like to tell them to SHUT UP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a backseat driver and i hate that i am but i need to say HEY stop i dont want to die!!!

    ReplyDelete