Idiom & Wise Saying Posting Instructions

Once you have had your Idiom/wise saying peer edited, you will need to post it to this blog.
Choose a picture to accompany your text. You will need to upload the picture.
The text may be copied and pasted into your post. Be sure to put the text in single space.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

There's method to my madness

There’s Method in my Madness

There are several different ways that “There’s method in my madness” has been said, the British say “method in one’s madness” and Americans say “method to one’s madness or “there is method in my madness”. This idiom came from Hamlet in 1603 by William Shakespeare. The actual line is “Though this be madness yet there is method in it”.
The meaning of the word “method” pertains to the careful, arrangement of something brilliant. “Madness” pertains to an odd, brainless act according to the idiom site.The meaning is what looks like an odd and senseless act is actually the result of a carefully rationalized plan or unusual or insane actions that appear pointless but in the end are done for a valid case. Phrases.org state the meaning as a reason behind an apparent lunacy or disarray.
I have heard this idiom since I was a little girl from my grandparents, but they said it in a question: “Is there method in your madness?” This was when I was being silly or misbehaving. I believe William Shakespeare was one of the best writers of our time and there have been several different verses from his writings that have been interpreted in many different ways.

1 comment:

  1. William Shakespeare knew his stuff! He has definitly came up with something that will stand the test of time! Good Job on this one! It was very imformative and helped me understand the quote a little more!

    ReplyDelete